Valencia, Sep 23 (EFE).- Carlos San Juan, promoter of the “I’m older, not an idiot” campaign, asked the Minister of Economy, Nadia Calviño, to continue the progress made to improve the treatment of banks to the elderly and “don’t stop now”, in some “hard” times also for the elderly.

As six months have passed since the banks signed the protocol to improve access to their services by the elderly and people with disabilities, which included extended hours of face-to-face service at branches, assistance personalized and preferential telephone and ATMs with simplified language, This Valencian doctor insisted that it is “non-negotiable” that one hundred percent of bank branches do not yet work full time, since it is “a service audience”.

Now, 80% of agencies have full face-to-face schedules, but the remaining 20% ​​continue to work only until 11 a.m., “curiously” in “sensitive” areas such as high-population neighborhoods, he detailed. . in the declarations to the EFE.

San Juan also refers to the minister’s promise to implement the law creating the Authority for the Defense of Financial Clients, already approved by the Council of Ministers but not published in the BOE, and asks him to know when there is the procedures for it to become effective and what steps it will continue to take to address the issues of seniors in banking.

“I ask Minister Calviño to take us into account. We understand that there are many problems: the pandemic, the war in Ukraine, the energy crisis… We are also suffering from the prices, but the fact that a person cannot access his retirement in an adequate way is a very serious damage,” said San Juan, who in January this year launched a campaign in which he collected more than 600,000 signatures on the change.org platform.

And he adds: “This law must be approved and defend the most vulnerable user”, the elderly, who cannot be asked to have “a smartphone, with applications and a master’s degree in computer science” and that “when they want to go and ask what happened to these 10 euros, which is 5 minutes, come and see us”.

In 2021, the number of complaints to the bank was “outrageous” and 70% were resolved favorably, but this percentage corresponds to people who have support, not to those who do not even know how to complain. “It is inadmissible that they put restrictions on schedules or appointment requirements,” adds San Juan.

The campaign promoter admitted that he was satisfied with the interviews he had with Calviño and that he seemed to him “a prepared, serious and respectful person”, which is why he asks him to remember the elderly , which are the most vulnerable sector. of the society.

He considers that there is a paradox when the advantages of the bank continue to increase but the ATMs do not change to make them easier or the applications are not modified, and asks, as the law on creation of the Financial Customer Defense Authority, that it is possible to file a complaint without a lawyer or attorney, that the compliance monitor is the Bank of Spain and that compliance with the measures is assessable by an external body .

“I’m not against anyone, I’m saying keep going the way it started, it started very well,” said San Juan, 79.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.